These turmeric crackers are my homemade version of cheez-its. They’re healthier than the store-bought version and super easy to make. They’re also a great snack anytime, and you don’t even taste the turmeric. The turmeric gives the crackers a natural orange color to them.
Ingredients for the Turmeric Crackers:
- 1 Cup Cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter (cold, cut into cubes)
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder (or as needed)
- Chili Powder (optional; for flavor and color)
- Few Tbsp. Ice Water (as needed to form the dough)
Directions for the Turmeric Crackers:
- To start with the dough, add the flour, salt, turmeric, and chili powder in a food processor. Pulse it together.
- Add the grated cheese, pulse. Add the butter, pulse.
- Add in the ice water while pulsing until a dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and let the dough chill in the fridge for about an hour.
- Roll the dough out to your desired thickness.
- Use a ruler, and a frilly cutter or a straight cutter to cut out the squares.
- You can cut the squares to whatever size you want. I did mine in 1 inch squares.
- Take a skewer and poke a hole in the center of each square.
- Transfer the squares to a lined baking sheet.
- Bake them at 350F for about 15-20 minutes