This is a great recipe for if you don’t have an oven and want to make some good bread, or if you’re just experimenting. It’s hard to make bread if you don’t have an oven. Also, this recipe is fairly small and also easy to make for bread beginners!
Ingredients for the Steamed Rolls:
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp of ghee, oil, or melted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- Steaming the rolls doesn’t give any golden brown color on the rolls, so if you’re looking for some color, then once the rolls are steamed you can fry them with a little butter or ghee on a pan, and it also gives them more flavor!
- This is a small recipe, but feel free to either increase the recipe or make multiple batches.
Directions for making the Bread Rolls:
- Either in the microwave, or over the stove, heat the milk and honey, and whisk them together.
- Add in the yeast, stir it, and let it rest for about 5 minutes (it should look a little foamy because of the yeast)
- Stir in the egg yolk, and the oil or butter
- In another bowl, mix together the flour and salt
- Pour the wet ingredients on top of the dry ingredients and stir it until everything is moistened
- Go in with your hands to form a smooth dough
- Once you have a cohesive dough, knead it for about 5 minutes or so, it should be a little sticky.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, and until doubled.
- While, it’s rising, you can set up your steaming area. Directions are down below:
Directions for Setting up your Steamer:
- For this recipe, I used my metal steamer that sits right on top of another pot.
- You can fill the pot up about half way with water BUT make sure to check the date VERY often, otherwise the water will run out and RUIN your pot. This is EXTREMELY important!
- Grease the metal steamer, and you can start boiling your water on low heat.
- Also remember to wrap your lid in a kitchen towel so that the condensation doesn’t touch the rolls.
Directions for Shaping your Rolls:
- Once the dough has doubled, divide the dough into 3-5 pieces depending on how big you want them.
- You can make the rolls whatever shape you want, in my video I showed some of my favorite shapes
- To make the classic round shape: Flour your surface, knead each little dough ball, and pinch the edges inward
- To make the braided roll: Divide the dough ball into 3 equal pieces, roll each piece into a long roll, join all 3 rolls at the top, and braid a simple 3-strand braid (right over the middle, left over the middle, etc)
- To make the twisted roll: Divide the dough ball into 2 pieces, roll each piece into a long strip/roll, twist the two pieces, and make a spiral with the twisted piece
- To make the knotted roll: Roll the dough ball into a long strip and knot the roll, tuck the edges under the roll
- Once you’re done shaping the rolls, while your water boils, let the rolls rest for another 20 minutes or so.
- Steam them at medium-high heat for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, and the rolls should look nice and puffy.