It’s St. Patrick’s Day, and it means I have to make something green! I recently discovered the superfood spirulina. I did many experiments and finally arrived at a recipe that I could eat and taste good because spirulina can be an acquired taste. These cupcakes are naturally green with spirulina and retain the color even after baking. I wanted to decorate these like I’ve seen so many people do recently on Insta. Overall, I was happy with it, but of course, you can decorate these however you like! I’ve tasted them without frosting as well, and they’re great!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp spirulina powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Two eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of one orange
- juice of one orange
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted, softened to room temperature butter
- 3 1/2-4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream/milk/half-and-half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- gel food coloring (white, green), sprinkles
Directions for Making the Cupcakes:
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and spirulina powder.
- Beat the butter, slowly add in the sugar and vanilla.
- Add two eggs and orange zest and juice.
- Add the buttermilk.
Directions for Making the Frosting:
- Start by beating the butter at high speed for 7 min. Slowly add in the sifted powdered sugar and salt. Add the vanilla and cream.
- Optional: Add white food coloring for a white base color. I recently started doing this and noticed that it improves my colors a lot. It makes the colors pop more, so I would suggest doing this first.
- Divide the frosting into three and color white, green, and dark green. I used green, blue, yellow, and brown for the dark green color.
- Place the frostings into three separate bags with three separate tips. Here’s what I used:
White frosting: 1m open star
Light green frosting: small petal piping tip
Dark green frosting: small french tip
- Frost the cupcakes and add sprinkles of your choice!
lbry invite link: https://lbry.tv/$/invite/@chaia:b
If you sign up with this link you will get paid through LBC coin. This is the best way to get your feet wet in the world of crypto. Invite your friends and family and we all get paid.