These lentil tater-tots are so addicting and super easy to make. You can make the whole recipe in the food processor. They are a healthier version of tater tots because they aren’t potatoes, but they are still deep-fried. It is possible to bake them in the oven, but I haven’t tried it.
Ingredients for the Lentil Tater-Tots:
- App. 1/4 cup Masoor Dal
- App. 1/4 cup Moong Bean/Dal
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup Channa Dal
- 1 tbsp curry powder (you may adjust the quantity)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- chili powder to taste
- juice of half a lemon
- cilantro or parsley (optional)
- water as needed
Directions for the Lentil Tater-Tots:
- Soak all the lentils overnight. They should look slightly more prominent.
- Add all of the lentils into a food processor and process until they’re a course meal.
- Add all of the spices and other ingredients.
- Process until everything is smooth, don’t overdo it.
- Add water as needed. It should be a very thick batter.
- Start heating oil for frying.
- Take about a tablespoon of batter and shape it into your desired shape.
- Drop it into the oil. You can do about 5 or 6 at a time, depending on how big your pot is.
- Once they start to brown, slowly turn them over until they are an even golden brown color.
- Serve warm with ketchup, mayo, or whatever you want!