I have been testing gluten-free baking for a long time, and I’m still in the early phases of learning. In other words, I have no idea how this stuff works, but I’m great at experimenting. You know that the kitchen is my laboratory if you have been following me from when I first started my Youtube channel (now I am on LBRY). I always have fun experimenting with food and ingredients. I have finally baked a gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, cornless cornbread! AHA! Success! YESSS!!! So let me walk you through the recipe, and I guarantee you it tastes good! You won’t regret it, so please try making it, and say my name when you eat it 🙂 Don’t forget that part.
Ingredients for the Cornbread:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (see recipe below)
- 2 3/4 cups chickpea flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/3 cups coconut milk or milk of choice
- Recipe for two flax eggs:
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- 5 Tbsp water
- Stir together and let thicken 5 min. I usually make it first and let it thicken while I rest.
- Remember this is gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, cornless cornbread; therefore, don’t expect the same results or texture, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad! The baking process is different, meaning it will be different when dealing with ingredients. At times it might feel like it’s not right or things are not turning out. A fair warning is to expect everything but attach to nothing. In other words, if it doesn’t work, don’t have a meltdown as I have had 🙂
- If you have any other questions or concerns, please leave a comment, and I will be happy to answer! No guarantees that my answer will be helpful though, but I will do my best to help 🙂 Please let me know how yours turned out or what changes you made.
Directions for the Cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 8 X 8″ square pan.
- Beat together sugar, salt, vanilla, apple-cider vinegar, and coconut oil
- Add in flax eggs.
- Mix the chickpea flour, baking powder, and ground cardamom in a separate bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients alternately with the coconut milk
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.