This recipe is my favorite, go-to savory cornbread recipe made with chickpea flour. It’s crispy on the outside and moist and crumbly on the inside. It can go as a side with any dish. I experimented with steaming, and I liked how delicious it turned out. I know the steaming version will work well with people who don’t have an oven and can still enjoy this cornbread. It’s a small recipe but feel free to adjust the measurements to your liking.
Ingredients for the Cornbread:
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp semolina (optional for gluten free)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes (or powder)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- One egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 oz sourdough discard or sourdough starter
- ginger and garlic to taste
Instructions for the Cornbread:
- Grease your 9-inch pan
- Sift together the chickpea flour, curry powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the chili flakes, semolina, and cornmeal.
- Whisk together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and the egg. Add the buttermilk and sourdough starter—grate in the ginger and garlic.
- Mix until smooth and add in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until incorporated and pour into the prepared pan.
- For steaming: Heat a pot of simmering water, place a stand inside, and a pan on top. Pour in the batter, and put a towel-wrapped lid on top—steam at med-high heat for about 30 min. Check and continue steaming if needed.
- For baking: bake at 400 F for 30 min and until a toothpick comes out clean.
Personal Note: I prefer the baked version because that’s what I’m used to, but when I travel, often I crave foods that I ate here in the US, so if I ever travel and have no oven, I would like to try this recipe.
lbry invite link: https://lbry.tv/$/invite/@chaia:b
If you sign up with this link you will get paid through LBC coin. This is the best way to get your feet wet in the world of crypto. Invite your friends and family and we all get paid.