During Christmas time everybody loves to bake sweet things. So to mix things up I decided to do something different and savory. I had already done savory bread before, but I wanted to put a Christmas flair on it this time.
Ingredients for the Christmas Tree Breadsticks:
- Basic bread dough: Here’s my recipe- 1 1/2 cups water, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 3 Tbsp sugar, 2 Tbsp yogurt (optional), 3 Tbsp butter, 4 1/4 cups flour, 2 tsp yeast
- 1 pack (2 cups) frozen or fresh spinach
- 1 package (1 1/2 cups) cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. garlic cloves
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 Cups Grated Cheese
- You can use either a basic bread dough recipe, a biscuit dough recipe, or pizza dough.
Directions for the Christmas Tree Breadsticks:
- First start by making the filling: Beat the spinach and cream cheese together, add in the garlic, salt, pepper, chili, seasoning, and cheese.
- Then roll out the dough into a large rectangle and cut it in half. Cut out a triangular tree shape from one half of the dough
- Repeat the same dough process with the other half, to create another triangle
- Then get ready a lined baking sheet, and place one of the triangles on top.
- Spread the filling, then place the other triangle on top.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut short horizontal lines on either side of the triangle, all the way up.
- Start twisting the breadsticks, it’ll be hard at the top, but do your best and it gets easier as you go down.
- Optional: Brush the egg wash before baking.
- Bake the tree at 400 F for about 30 minutes or until it looks golden brown.
- Optional: Brush the tree again with olive oil or butter.