I made these really yummy carrot cupcakes for Easter, but honestly, they’re perfect for anytime of year. You also don’t have to put a frosting on them, but carrot cake and cream cheese is a match made in heaven anyways, so I decided to put a frosting on them. These are also super easy to make, and perfect for beginners! I decided to fill them with lots of carrots, nuts and raisins, but you don’t have to add in the nuts and raisins.
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/3 cup oil, melted butter, or ghee
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream, yogurt, milk, or applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/3 cup nuts (optional; I used walnuts or pecans)
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional)
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz (1 package) of cream cheese room temperature, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted room temperature butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Instead of all the spices, you can use pumpkin pie spice
- If you don’t have white sugar, then you can do 1 cup of brown sugar, or you can do 1 cup of white sugar. I like using brown sugar because it adds flavor and moisture.
- Using sour cream in recipes always makes everything really nice and moist, which is why I always add it in muffins and cupcakes.
- You can either use sour cream, yogurt, milk, or applesauce, either one will work fine. If you have none then cream with water will do the job.
- If you don’t have cream cheese, you can also just top them with a regular vanilla frosting.
- I made this recipe in my stand mixer, but you can also use a hand mixer, or make the recipe by hand.
- I use an ice cream scoop when dividing the batter, but you don’t have to.
- Leave your cream cheese and butter out so that they’re room temperature when you’re going to make the frosting.
- I used an open star 1m tip to frost my cupcakes, but feel free to use whatever piping tip you want.
Directions for the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line your muffin pan
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and soda, spices, and salt)
- Whisk together the oil and sugar
- Add in the sour cream
- Then the vanilla extract and eggs
- Then mix in the grated carrots
- Add in the dry ingredients, and mix in on a low speed.
- Divide the batter in the muffin cups and bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool before making the frosting.
Directions for the Cream Cheese frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together for 2 minutes until they’re smooth
- Add in the powdered sugar and the vanilla
- Beat it until it’s nice and smooth
- Once the cupcakes are cool, you can frost them.