It’s St. Patrick’s Day, and it means I have to make something green! I recently discovered the superfood spirulina. I did many experiments and finally arrived at a recipe that I could eat and taste good because spirulina can be an acquired taste. These cupcakes are naturally green with spirulina and retain the color even after baking. I wanted to decorate these like I’ve seen so many people do recently on Insta. Overall, I was happy with it, but of course, you can decorate these however you like! I’ve tasted them without frosting as well, and they’re great!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp spirulina powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Two eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of one orange
- juice of one orange
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted, softened to room temperature butter
- 3 1/2-4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream/milk/half-and-half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- gel food coloring (white, green), sprinkles
Directions for Making the Cupcakes:
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and spirulina powder.
- Beat the butter, slowly add in the sugar and vanilla.
- Add two eggs and orange zest and juice.
- Add the buttermilk.
Directions for Making the Frosting:
- Start by beating the butter at high speed for 7 min. Slowly add in the sifted powdered sugar and salt. Add the vanilla and cream.
- Optional: Add white food coloring for a white base color. I recently started doing this and noticed that it improves my colors a lot. It makes the colors pop more, so I would suggest doing this first.
- Divide the frosting into three and color white, green, and dark green. I used green, blue, yellow, and brown for the dark green color.
- Place the frostings into three separate bags with three separate tips. Here’s what I used:
White frosting: 1m open star
Light green frosting: small petal piping tip
Dark green frosting: small french tip
- Frost the cupcakes and add sprinkles of your choice!