This recipe is my favorite, go-to savory cornbread recipe made with chickpea flour. It’s crispy on the outside and moist and crumbly on the inside. It can go as a side with any dish. I experimented with steaming, and I liked how delicious it turned out. I know the steaming version will work well with people who don’t have an oven and can still enjoy this cornbread. It’s a small recipe but feel free to adjust the measurements to your liking.
Ingredients for the Cornbread:
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp semolina (optional for gluten free)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes (or powder)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- One egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 oz sourdough discard or sourdough starter
- ginger and garlic to taste
Instructions for the Cornbread:
- Grease your 9-inch pan
- Sift together the chickpea flour, curry powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the chili flakes, semolina, and cornmeal.
- Whisk together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and the egg. Add the buttermilk and sourdough starter—grate in the ginger and garlic.
- Mix until smooth and add in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until incorporated and pour into the prepared pan.
- For steaming: Heat a pot of simmering water, place a stand inside, and a pan on top. Pour in the batter, and put a towel-wrapped lid on top—steam at med-high heat for about 30 min. Check and continue steaming if needed.
- For baking: bake at 400 F for 30 min and until a toothpick comes out clean.
Personal Note: I prefer the baked version because that’s what I’m used to, but when I travel, often I crave foods that I ate here in the US, so if I ever travel and have no oven, I would like to try this recipe.