Quiche is one of my favorite things to make because you can put in any filling you want and have it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner! This quiche recipe has broccoli, cheese, mushrooms, and onions. It’s also easy if you make the crust or filling ahead of time.
Ingredients for the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 5 tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 4-6 tbsp ice water
Ingredients for the Quiche:
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1/2 cup cheddar
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- You can make the pie crust by hand if you want. I’m using a food processor.
- I like making my pie crust, but you can buy a pie crust to make this recipe easier or faster.
- Feel free to add whatever vegetables or filling ingredients you want. My suggestion would be to pre-cook whatever veggies you have.
- You can also make the crust and filling a day ahead with a bit of planning.
Instructions for the Pie Crust:
- Make the pie crust first so that it can chill in the fridge while you make the filling.
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour and salt. Add the shortening and pulse.
- Add the butter cubes and pulse until the butter is in small pieces and the mixture is crumbly.
- Add a few tablespoons of ice water, as needed. You should be able to press together the crumbs.
- Turn the mixture out on the counter and press the crumbly dough together into a mound. Form a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge to chill for at least a half-hour.
Instructions for the Filling:
- Start by chopping your onions and mushrooms.
- Place a saute pan on med-high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and add the onions. Add a pinch of salt and cook until the onions are translucent and just golden brown around the edges.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the moisture is out of the mushrooms. They should shrink and have a bit more color. Turn the heat off and set it aside.
- Add the steamed broccoli.
Instructions for the Custard:
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the milk, cream, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Whisk this until the eggs break up, and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the sour cream, add the cheese now, or with the rest of the filling ingredients.
Instructions for Blind-baking the Pie Crust:
- After the dough has been chilling in the fridge, take it out, dust your countertop with flour, and unwrap the pie dough.
- Roll the dough out to about 10-11 inches.
- Place it over the pie pan, and press it into place. Either crimp the sides or trim them off.
- Place a parchment sheet inside, add the pie weights, and blind bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take it out of the oven and remove the pie weights.
- Spoon the filling ingredients in and cheese .
- Pour the custard evenly over the vegetables.
- Bake at 350 for about an hour or until quiche is set.