If you’ve had rice pudding before, you know how good it is. It’s not for everybody, but I sure love it. Another thing I love—pie. So, I decided to combine the best of both worlds, and make a rice pudding pie. it is very thick, and filling, and you may or may not like it. It’s definitely not something I would make every week, but I think it’s nice to have a small slice from time to time. Also, this pie is actually a two-day process. The first day we make the pie dough and the rice pudding, then we finish it off the next day.
Ingredients for the Rice Pudding:
- 1 Cup White Rice, rinsed
- 1-2 Pods Crushed Cardamom,
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cups Cream
- 3 Tbsp. Ricotta Cheese (Optional)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- If you want you can soak the rice for about 15 minutes before.
- I haven’t put the pie dough recipe here, all you need to do is make your own single-crust pie dough.
- I used pie weights to get a flat bottom, but you can use beans instead.
Directions for the Rice Pudding Pie:
- Heat up a saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add in the white rice and milk. Let it simmer.
- In the mean time, make your pie dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.
- Once the rice has been simmering for 20-30 minutes, you should be able to see the difference in the rice. Add in the crushed cardamom pods, and the sugar.
- Once the pudding is done, leave it in the fridge overnight along with the pie dough.
- The next day, roll out the pie dough.
- Place the pie crust over the pie pan, and smooth it out.
- Make a crust with the pie dough, and trim off any excess if needed.
- Crimp the pie crust.
- Because the rice pudding is a wet mixture, blind bake the pie crust. Place some parchment over the dough and add in your pie weights.
- Blind bake the pie crust at 375F for about 20 minutes.
- Scoop the rice pudding inside the crust. You might have some leftover.
- Bake the crust at 350F for about 20-30 minutes. If needed, cover the crust of the pie with foil or a crust cover and continue baking for another 5-10 minutes. As the pie cools it will set.