Summer is here, and with that in mind, how about some great, tasty, refreshing summer salad? This is one of my go to recipes, it’s packed with flavor, goodness, and healthy whole grains all in a bowl. All you have to do is chop it up and mix it and some minor cooking. It’s also really easy to customize. I call it my ancient grains salad because they call these grains ancient (amaranth, quinoa, millet, buckwheat). I always make it with whatever veggies I have on hand, and you can season it how you like as well.
Ingredients for the Ancient Grains Salad:
- 1 Cup Ancient Grains mix (Amaranth, Quinoa, Millet) or a 1/3 cup of each
- 1 Cup Buckwheat
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 Cucumber
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 Red Radishes
- 5 Green Onions
- 1 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese (as needed)
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. Chili Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Directions for the Ancient Grains Salad:
- Start by cooking each grain separately. Cook it according to the directions, or just how you would regular white rice. You want them soft and edible, but not mushy.
- Cut all the vegetables into desired size pieces and add it to the grains.
- I like to cut my cherry tomatoes in halves, and all the vegetables thinly chopped.
- Once everything is ready, mix everything together, and before seasoning wait until the grains are cold.
- Once the salad has chilled, add in the black pepper, salt, chili flakes, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice.
Where Can I Purchase Ancient Grains?
You can purchase these grains separately almost everywhere. I got mine as a mix from Grocery Outlet.